[arg_discuss] Open Source ARGs

Mike Monello mmonello at campfirenyc.com
Fri Aug 1 15:24:06 EDT 2008

I don't believe ARGs are mature enough to warrant some kind of study before diving in and making your own. All of us have brought our various experiences from other media to bear on our past and current work without having experienced or studied ARGs in the past, so why should that be a requirement now?

10 years from now, we may start to get experiences from people who have grown up with ARGs, steeped in its past and aware of what came before, but until then we should celebrate the wild west environment we have today, the opportunity for crazy experimentation, the chance to push the definition beyond the confines imposed on it by others.

Five years ago, the word "puzzle" would have appeared in any definition of ARG - now, the word doesn't even appear on the "What is an ARG" page of Argology!

It's punk rock, man! All of us old geezers suck - form your band and destroy it all!

:)

-Mike