[arg_discuss] Open Source ARGs

wendy wendeth at wendydespain.com
Fri Aug 1 13:38:53 EDT 2008

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Mark Heggen wrote:

> Wendy, you bring up some excellent points out about the value of even brief

> exposure; when thought of as on-line advertising, ARGs aren't bad: they get

> However, when considering ARGs as works of art, games, or narrative

> experiences these brief glimpses of attention from potential audience

> members can't possibly count for much. If someone glances at the cover of

What about all those people (including myself) who buy a book but take
years to get around to reading it (or never do). Is the book a success
because everyone's talking about it? Or by how many are sold? I can talk
about it - and even read it - without ever buying it. I can buy it because
it has a cool cover, but never read it.

Can I truly appreciate art if I only see copies of famous oil paintings?
Are these paintings successful or trashy if every college student has a
poster of that painting on their wall?

I don't disagree with what I thought was your main point - we need to
lower the barrier to entry so more people can enjoy ARGs. I completely
agree.

However, I'd rather judge the success of a particular ARG (be it a million
dollar ad campaign or a grassroots game) on the individual experience,
rather than the credentials of the creators.

People who play a ton of ARGs may not be great at creating them. (Though
many are.) As an example, I absolutely adore oil paintings... but I'm
really no good at creating them myself.

I think the broad concept of ARG is an idea whose time has come. Some
people are making ARGs without playing previous ones because they didn't
know anybody else had even had this idea.

Personally, I'm not a fan of giving anybody the credit for "inventing"
ARGs because multiple people developed ARG-like things over the last
century. So I think some people are still "inventing" the ARG concept, and
if the product of their creative kick is a great experience, I don't care
if they've never heard of Majestic.

On the other hand, it would be great if all ARGs were mind-blowingly good,
but as Brian pointed out, when it comes to art, there's always a matter of
taste you can't count on. So I don't know. It can be annoying to see
people floundering around being terrible at an art form because they
haven't done their homework, but I don't think it does any long-term
damage to the art form.

Wendy Despain
quantumcontent.com