[arg_discuss] Intellectual property and freelance work

despain at quantumcontent.com despain at quantumcontent.com
Thu Apr 17 00:49:16 EDT 2008

First of all, I am not a lawyer. And on this issue, you may seriously want
to consult one with experience in IP law.

The fact that you weren't paid and didn't sign anything does throw the
technicalities of ownership into question, definitely.

I guess there are three questions that come to my mind.

1) Are the people you worked with likely to take legal action against you?
From your description of them, it sounds like they're a little
unpredictable. If it came down to it, I think you would win
in any legal battle (depending on the details) since you
weren't paid for your work, but do you want to go through all
the mess leading up to the win? Is time saved in creative
effort worth the stress?

2) Why would you want to reuse materials made specifically for someone
else's world and story?
They own the materials they created, no matter how the deal
went down. So I would think that most of your materials would
have to be changed substantially to fit into a different world.
And then... you're not reusing anything. You may be loosely
basing your new characters etc. on your old one, your new
puzzles on your old ones... but would they even be recognizable
by the time you were done rewriting? If so, why not just start
fresh? It doesn't sound like they were created in a happy
environment anyway. It may just be best to walk away from them.
Chalk it up as a practice exercise like in school. You learned
from the experience, right? (Like always get agreements in
writing?)

3) Is a new client paying you to create these materials?
If someone new is paying you, don't EVER reuse material from
another client (or your own personal work). These people are
paying you for the time and creativity it requires to generate
original material. They should get their money's worth. Don't
shortchange them or yourself. If you're thinking of using the
old material in your personal magnum opus, I would still
suggest that you don't need to recycle anything tainted by
other people's world/plot whatever. If you're building your
own world etc., make it really yours. Don't just cut out
other people's influence and replace it with a cheap copy
that might fit into the old gaps.

Only you can make this decision, but hopefully these questions will
help clarify the issues in your own mind. And once again - I am not
an IP lawyer. I just take them to lunch at every opportunity.

Wendy Despain
quantumcontent.com