[arg_discuss] Intellectual property and freelance work

dave at daveszulborski.com dave at daveszulborski.com
Thu Apr 10 19:51:55 EDT 2008

Yes, as Andrea pointed out, it's normal that any work you do, even as
a freelancer or consultant under these circumstances, is considered
"work for hire", meaning the client retains all rights to whatever you
create. As Michelle indicated, however, it's entirely reasonable for
the freelancer to ask to be credited for their work and to retain
limited rights over anything created for portfolio purposes. Actually,
under most circumstances, you have the right to display whatever
you've made as part of your portfolio, even if you haven't
specifically asked for that under your contract. You just can't try to
re-sell or profit from your creations done as work for hire in any way.

For example, in 2006 I created a set of 100 puzzles for Dreamworks and
Campfire to promote the animated film Over the Hedge. I can publish
the puzzles as part of a work explaining my career and work I have
done, but can't publish and sell the 100 puzzles as a separate book of
puzzles, since the characters and subject matter they contain are
either owned by Dreamworks or the original creators of the Over the
Hedge comic strip.

Similarly, in 2007 I wrote a fictional blog called
thepresidentsbook.com for the film National Treasure 2: The
President's Book of Secrets, under contract to Disney and Deep Focus.
I can publish portions of my writing from that job in my portfolio, on
my website, or even in an upcoming book release about work I have
done, but can't compile the 42 blog entries into a separate book and
publish and sell it for profit.

Dave Szulborski
dave at daveszulborski.com
www.daveszulborski.com