[arg_discuss] [meta] Introductions

A Nakama a.r.nakama at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 02:41:57 EDT 2008

Hello everyone!

My name is Adam Nakama. I'm a half-Okinawan half-American twenty-something
raised in the American South finishing up studies at Worcester Polytechnic
Institute. While here I ran a couple of ARGs, including one developed for
the Admissions office to try to increase enrollment of female students.
ARGs are one passion amongst many; I also write in a variety of media, and
am hoping to find some sort of financially solvent job involving writing
(preferably ARGs or games of some sort). On that note, I just accepted my
first bit of freelance work puppetmastering an ARG.

It's embarrassing to admit this, since it's heading into her inbox, but I'm
kind of a big fan of Jane McGonigal's work. I thought ARGs were fascinating
when I first learned of the concept, but she's the one who convinced me to
stick with them through the work she's done.

I'm also terribly interested in various approaches to gendered play from
both a practical and theoretical view, as well as interactive narrative in
its myriad forms. Ooh, and anything that gets people playing in realspace
and interacting with the space around them in new and unique ways is really
cool too.

I'm quite excited to be a member of this SIG, and look forward to learning
and contributing with all of you. No, seriously. I'm probably too
enthusiastic for my own good. But, hey, candy stripers make everyone feel
better, right?

Talk to you all soon!

~ Adam Nakama