[arg_discuss] TINAG, the Curtain, and the 4th Wall

David Fono fono at dgp.toronto.edu
Thu Sep 20 11:21:05 EDT 2007

Hey guys,

I feel like it's my civic duty to point out that we should probably
be using the term "fourth wall" in a lot of the places we're using
"curtain."

It's a bit of a tricky distinction, but it's pretty much the same one
that Andrea astutely made between TINAG as immersion and TINAG as
information hiding. The fourth wall refers to the illusion by which
the characters in a fiction appear to inhabit an actual world of
their own -- to break the fourth wall is to make the audience realize
they're observing actors in a crafted work. The curtain refers to
something far more specific.

I'm not trying to be pedantic, I mention it because I think that
using the terminology from other genres illuminates some interesting
contrasts. For one, it's interesting to note that almost nowhere else
is the idea of a curtain around creator's identities considered to be
useful for maintaining the fourth wall. There are few people who
would question that a good film, play, book or videogame can be
exceptionally immersive. But it's relatively unheard of for there to
be a curtain around these works. What is it about ARGs that makes the
curtain seem like such a big deal? You might say part of genre's
raison d'etre is to push the very boundaries of immersion, but I
think we can agree that a great many other works have similar aims.
And even if this is a valid argument, do we really think that
heightened immersion ought to be the primary ambition of ARGs?

This brings to me to my second reason for bringing up the fourth wall
-- there is a rich existing discourse on how and why it's broken.
Breaking the fourth wall is frequently used as a technique to
heighten the audience's critical awareness (Bertolt Brecht used the
trick extensively to provoke social and political inquiry.) Why can't
an ARG do the same thing? (It would be really interesting to look at
WWO in this context and compare it to Brecht's approach, given that
WWO adhered to TINAG.) Breaking the fourth wall is also frequently
done to produce a comic effect -- but I haven't seen this done in an
ARG yet. Why not? (By the way, where's the ARG that's about people
making an ARG? (NB: If you use this idea, please let me collaborate!))

It's also interesting to note that with the jump to interactive forms
of fiction (i.e. videogames), breaks in the fourth wall have become
increasingly frequent. Virtually every videogame contains some nudge
or wink directed at the player as an extra-diagetic entity. It also
seems to me that an increasingly info-saturated, hyper-cynical
audience expects a similarly high level of self-awareness from their
fiction -- The Simpsons, Family Guy, etc. are nothing if not repeated
exercises in breaking the fourth wall. Yet amongst all this, ARGs
have emerged with an incredibly distinct counter-trend, where
maintaining the fourth wall at all costs in seen as so important that
we have debates about it. What does this say about ARGs, and where
they come from?

BTW, Eternal Darkness was freakin' awesome!

david