[arg_discuss] TINAG and the curtain: necessary?

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Sun Sep 16 09:14:06 EDT 2007

In the chat last night, there were some ruminations on whether TINAG and
the curtain are necessary for all ARGs, and whether a modern day "get
more players" or "give players money" or "reach critical mass" could
make use of TINAG. Daze Szulborksi's THIS IS NOT A GAME [1] was
mentioned; its primary belief is that TINAG is critically important to
the makeup of an ARG (my one sentence review [2]: "Dated; lots to
disagree with. Still required and unique.").

In a project I'm currently working on, 60 Blank White Cards (60BWC), I
have thrown away TINAG the curtain entirely, and I wax about why in one
of three "inspired by" posts. Note that 60BWC plans a cash prize. With
that said, it's not the only reason:

http://www.60bwc.com/s1/entry/inspired-perplex-city

Some relevant snippets:

"It's important to note the difference between an "ARG to market" (such
as I Love Bees for Halo 2, and numerous others), and one intended for
something else. When your goal is to build a community then surprise
them in the end with Ovaltine, mystery is just fine. When your goal is
to sell product, build a brand, or come out Day 1 and say "we got
prizes!", mystery can work against you: it creates suspicion that the
prize isn't real, that your money could be wasted on irrelevant product,
or that no one can be held accountable."

"In modern ARG gameplay, mystery can work against
you in other ways. [see the post for the rest.]"

In conclusion: "I've become satisfied that both IG and OOG, both TINAG
and TIAG, both story and discourse, are critical to an enjoyable
experience; the mystery of "what's going on in this story?" is more
important than "they mustn't find out this isn't real!"

[1] http://www.amazon.com/This-Not-Game-Alternate-Reality/dp/1411625951/
[2] http://www.disobey.com/detergent/lists/books

--
Morbus Iff ( there is no morbus, there is only zuul! )
Enjoy my: http://www.disobey.com/ and http://www.60bwc.com/