[arg_discuss] TINAG and the curtain: necessary?

Michael Monello mmonello at campfirenyc.com
Thu Oct 4 22:49:46 EDT 2007

Resurrecting a (possibly) dead discussion because I was immersed in
work while it was active. Sorry if everyone has already moved on!

On Sep 17, 2007, at 12:19 PM, Andrea Phillips wrote:

> Hmm. Reading back over it, could the distinction be games that are

> marketing efforts for an already-existing product, vs. games that are

> designed in conjunction with a product to go to market? In the second

> case, the game is a legitimate (and maybe integral) part of the

> product and experience. In which case I'd say, yeah, Blair Witch feels

> like it falls into the second category.

I definitely view Blair Witch as a completely integrated experience
where some pieces were monetized (movie, books, comics, PC games),
while others where not (website, community, TV documentary). There is
an academic leaning book published a few years ago that comes closest
to really discussing how integrated the entire thing was -- Nothing
That Is: Millennial Cinema and the 'Blair Witch' Controversies
( http://www.amazon.com/Nothing-That-Millennial-Cinema-Controversies/
dp/0814330649/ref=sr_1_1/104-2197483-9245546?
ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191509626&sr=8-1 ).

Best,

Michael Monello
Partner, Campfire
---