[arg_discuss] English Gargoyle ARG?

Brooke Thompson brooke at mirlandano.com
Wed Oct 3 15:48:04 EDT 2007

> I'm not intentionally trying to be obtuse. I'm trying to understand how

> you differentiate between "publicity stunt" and ARG. Couldn't I Love Bees

> be considered a publicity stunt? Why not?

Yes, I would call I Love Bees a publicity stunt. I would also say that if I
Love Bees was just a series of ringing payphones that played the same sound
file over and over again, that it wouldn't be an ARG. It would be strange
ringing payphones much as this is just strange carved gargoyles. Until a
story and some interaction are added into the mix, I think we've just got
ourselves a gimmick and some art.

ARGs require a story (and an interactive one at that) more than they require
a gimmick. Publicity stunts require a gimmick more than they require a
story. :)

note: I have nothing against gimmicks or art and think these gargoyles are
pretty darn cool :)