[arg_discuss] Tools for ARG developers

Christy Dena cdena at cross-mediaentertainment.com
Thu Nov 29 20:40:32 EST 2007

I find a mix of different documentation works well because they have
different functions. The Excel approach (media & time) is great for spotting
holes and general overview, but a chart approach can also illuminate the
traversal design: how players get from media to media (with a strong
call-to-action or not, with a hard puzzle or not); and what players do what
actions (tiering the player types); managing point-of-entry (what parts of
freely accessible or conditional on another path)...etc. I think the chart
can really show the rhythms and complexity of an ARG in a way an excel doc
cannot.

We've all got our own methods but it is really fascinating and helpful to
see what other people do. I've found publicly available charts from only 3
ARGs: The Beast, Perplex City and Metacortechs. I've plopped them online
here: http://www.christydena.com/online-essays/arg-design-charts/ . If
anyone knows of others that are online please let me know.

As for the wiki problem. There is an Australian company, Atlassian, that has
developed a commercial wiki for projects: Confluence. It is used by Disney,
Pixar, BBC, Turner Broadcasting and many others. It may solve some problems:
http://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/ . But Brooke, you're talking
about the updating more than the technology I think. I found it funny how in
Perplex City they gave up and used the player bible wiki rather than their
own. Why not eh?!

Best, Christy :)