[arg_discuss] ARGs for children? McGonigal and Disney mentors

Kristian Leth DR UNG TV KRIL at dr.dk
Sat Jun 30 14:47:59 EDT 2007

A rare peep from me:

I think the mention of Disney and the childhood stories here illustrate that the Imagineering people are collective godfathers of the ARG genre. I mean, as discussed below, they deal with so many of the issues that make or break ARGs. Plus it involves both the storytelling, the (relative) ubiquity and the interactive elements that we define ARGs by. They just have a different target audience than most of us. (Or do they?)

Admittedly their focus is the roleplaying part of the game, not the gameplay part, but my point is that instead of trying to see Disney's Imagineering people as distant cousins, we should perhaps try and regard our own genre as an attempt to expand their theme park (alternate) reality to an adult audience. An audience whose ability to wholeheartedly roleplay is diminished and whose ideas of theme park walls and admittance fees are much more evolved and - well - adult, so as to shatter the illusion of an alternate reality.

This would give us an advantage in terms of a much needed toolset (and mentors! Give me mentors!).

Jane McGonigal's dissertation ( http://www.avantgame.com/mcgonigal_dissertation_chapter_1.pdf) outlines Winnicott's theory of children using transitional objects (toys or props in most forms) as means to make play revive the "experience of magical control" which we as infants perceive we have. (Quote: "The baby wants to feed; magically, the mother's breast appears to satisfy that desire.") When we grow older we imbue toys with these magical properties, since we have found out that we are ourselves part of a causal and not-always-magical REAL world (where things don't just miraculously appear to answer our needs). These transitional objects (toys) retain some of the magic we found out we didn't posess (superpowers etc) and by doing that help us accept the reality where we are not gods. Helps ud grow up.

That's why Disney Imagineering works. The props all remain magical *even when we're not playing along*! That's why kids feel magical when they're in Disneyworld, and that - according to the theory - helps them grow up and live in this world. But...

Winnicott: “It is assumed that the task of reality-
acceptance is never completed, that no human being is free from the strain of relating
inner and outer reality, and that relief from this strain is provided by an intermediate area
of experience which is not challenged (arts, religion, etc.). This intermediate area is in
direct continuity with the play area of the small child”.

McGonigal: "In other words, even in
adulthood, we take up transitional phenomena that allows us a temporary relief from
reality and returns to us some of the satisfaction of magical thinking, while still engaging
with physical artifacts."

Alongside all the adult toys that do magical stuff and "really do sing and dance when I turn out the lights", this is where ARGs come in. Disneyworld for grownups. So what we're doing is we're imagineering for adults. There's the history of our strange genre.

All quotes in this mail are from Jane's dissertation. If you want to read the four chapters that are online, go to http://www.avantgame.com/mcgonigal_dissertation_chapter_1.pdf ... We should all, really.

OK,
Kristian