[arg_discuss] Penny Arcade and the Ovaltine Disappointment

Gupfee gupfee at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 10:26:12 EDT 2007

The funny thing to me is, ARG players have used the Ovaltine story for years
as a descriptor for a puzzle or story event that has a big set-up, is hard
and/or frustrating to work out/get through, and then provides very little
pay-off once solved.

I think to avoid this, ARG developers should make sure that the effort
equals the results. If you make your players jump thru hoops to get to a
particular point in the game, reward them for their work with a good chunk
of story, or something else that makes them go "wow". ARGs by nature tend
to attract smart people, so acknowledging that in the game's design can help
guide the outcome, IMO. What I've seen is that most players do not mind an
ARG being associated with a brand as long as they are being treated with
respect as well as being entertained. It's more about setting up a
relationship than just advertising to a captive audience. Refer to Sean
Stewart's dance metaphor, discussed during the keynote at the last ARGfest,
as well as by Elan Lee in the last ARGNetcast.

As to the second issue, players being turned off by an ARG in general, this
is where a really good stealthy launch and a pretty thick curtain helps.
The best way to avoid the ARG label is to pretend it's not an ARG from the
get-go. Keep your client's mouth shut, and let the mystery deepen. By the
time they figure out what's going on (assuming you've entertained them and
cultivated their respect for your game) most players will be invested in the
story and stick with it and not care about the ARG or brand association.

Just some quick thoughts. I'm sure there's more that can be added.

Marie