[arg_discuss] Blair Witch

Michael Monello mmonello at campfiremedia.com
Tue Jan 2 16:02:43 EST 2007

Catching up from the holidays. Happy New Year everyone!

I too took the term "staged discussion" to mean astroturfing or faked
postings to forums, which did not happen. While I didn't like the
term it was the use of "hoax" that ruffled my feathers. Basically, if
BWP was a "hoax" then every ARG that came after could be labeled a hoax.

> hoax [hohks]

> –noun

> 1. something intended to deceive or defraud: The Piltdown man was a

> scientific hoax.

> –verb (used with object)

> 2. to deceive by a hoax; hoodwink.

> —Related forms

> hoaxer, noun

> —Synonyms

> 1. deception, fraud, fake, imposture, humbug.

Blair Witch became a cultural touchstone, and at a time when few
really understood the real power of community building and
storytelling via the net at the time (remember this was even before
blogs), and that set the stage for a great deal of sloppy reporting
about what was happened.

The web presentation of Blair Witch was no different than any ARG
past or present -- a website with a slowly unveiling storyline. At no
time was there any claim anywhere on the site stating that anything
was real. In fact, the history was littered with fictional names and
events, similar to the way ARGs telegraph themselves. Here's a big
one the very namesake county of the witch never existed -- there was
never a Blair County, Maryland. Names of museums, prominent people,
etc, were all fictions. It was spectacularly simple to poke holes
through the story -- the only "evidence" supporting any of the
fiction was found on the Blair Witch site. There was available on the
site, however, a newsletter (published in blog format), detailing the
production of the film. Basically a peek behind the curtain,
something that current ARG's don't even offer while they are running.
We did endeavor to keep the two spaces separate, so that the behind
the scenes material did not blend in with the fiction, but both were
open an available to all. Even after the film was bought by Artisan,
we continued to journal the process on our site. The film and TV
mockumentary carried the standard fiction disclaimers. There was
more, but you get the idea.

While getting into details could fill a book, here is the view of
what the Blair Witch Project encompassed from 100,000 feet:

An interactive and very deep story spread out over a variety of media
- websites, a book, several comics, a feature film, a television
special, three PC video games, a soundtrack CD that extended the
story, etc.

Community and audience collaboration - a huge online community
interacting on many forums for discussion (including but not limited
to our "official" forum, story elements written and created based on
how the audience interacted with the narrative, an insane number of
fan sites that extended the story well beyond the "official" sites, etc.

Game elements -- pages from Heather's diary were hidden online and
the audience had to work together to find them. Once they found a
page, we would release another and the audience collaboratively
pieced together the diary. When the audience found these pieces of
evidence they would then be posted for everyone else. This part of
the campaign was never written about because it was simply too
difficult for most reporters of the day to wrap their heads around,
and it just wasn't as sexy as all the fansites and fan-created
content and general mania that was surrounding the project --
nevertheless it was a vital part of the experience.

To be clear, I'm not saying that Blair Witch Project was the first to
do any of this (BWP started in April 1998 and continued through the
release of the film in July 1999), but I really do get upset when the
ARG community writes off Blair Witch as some kind of "hoax" that
doesn't really relate to the genre outside of some general elements,
especially when it remains one of the most successful and widely
known example of what we are all currently doing.

And I read that last paragraph and see that it comes off as
completely egotistical and self-serving and it probably is, even
though I don't intend it to be. That's why I generally avoid
discussing it and usually just let it slide when it comes up, but it
just bothered the hell out of me to see it in the whitepaper,
especially considering I'm on the list here and would have been happy
to discuss or verify anything relating to BWP for it if asked.

Best,

Mike
Campfire: http://www.campfiremedia.com
Haxan Films: http://www.haxan.com