[arg_discuss] ARG SIG Chat Feb. 3 Log Plus Summary

Adam Martin adam.m.s.martin at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 16 12:15:11 EST 2007

On 04/02/07, Adam Martin <adam.m.s.martin at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Some thoughts:

> Sadly, the IGDA resources (forums, listserv, etc) are far from perfect

> - but they are free, and are maintained for us. I think its fair to

> say that ARG people generally are more knowledgeable about forums etc

> than other game developers, and I'm sure we could do much better. Its

> been a long time since I've set one up, but its not that hard to make

> a combined forum + mailing list, where you get the full functionality

> of both, simultaneously. Perhaps sth else to consider?

Update: IGDA is planning a major update of all the online support
(forums, mailing lists, blogs, wikis) at the moment, due for delivery
sometime in the next few months.

It looks like it will provide practically everything we would need,
from very fine-grained access control (arbitrarily many user groups
with different privacy and read/write controls) through to combined
"dual" listserv/forums as I mentioned above.

We would even be able to control what was the front-page of the sig
(http://igda.org/arg) - blog, wiki, etc.

So ... I suggest holding off on that for another couple of months to
see what IGDA comes up with.

PS: other follow-ups from the ARG SIG chat to come, very soon. Watch
this space ;)...

Adam