[arg_discuss] is ARG just a marketing technique to the press?

Ian Millington ian at nearworlds.com
Mon Dec 31 09:41:52 EST 2007

> The key to this was getting lots of people to play the game over and

> over again

This is the biggest problem I've not been able to solve in trying to
think of how to monetize ARGs.

ARGs have very weak individual agency for players. Don't play for a
while and not only will the game not care, but you won't be able to go
back and play (most of) what you missed. When the game is over, it is
over.

So not only is it difficult to see how you can build replayability,
but even individual playability in the first instance is rather
constrained.

PXC was interesting because the ARG and the puzzle cards were largely
separable - you could play the ARG without buying the cards (they were
published online and solutions abounded) and you could play the cards
without worrying about the ARG (my mother did this - it was all about
the puzzles).

Ian.