[arg_discuss] is ARG just a marketing technique to the press?

Brian Clark bclark at gmdstudios.com
Wed Dec 19 07:16:06 EST 2007

One part of me thinks it would be ridiculously fun to play the "angry indie"
to Monello's "corporate suit". Mike normally hogs the "angry indie" role (he
wears his "I made the Blair Witch Project and all I got was this lousy
t-shirt!" t-shirt to ad agency meetings) and leaves me playing the suit! Did
you know that Google has over 360,000 matches on the phrase "theory slut"? I
just know Monello and I are in there somewhere.

Getting into why the statistics of ARGs are fuzzy beasts is almost a derail.
Let's just say with a phrase like "story participants" you are at a number
somewhere between "how many people clicked a banner bar and came to one of
the sites" and "active players". If you wanted to be particularly cruel
instead of particularly kind, I think we had fewer than 2000 people posting
in the in-game forums. If you wanted to be even crueler, you could say that
7 whole people looked at the rich media production for the "last layer of
Virgil King of Code" -- I shudder to think of the production cost per viewer
of that page, even though it was the grand reward of a long and frustrating
puzzle. That's only 2 more people than came to West Virginia for a day-long
event in the wilderness on Eldritch Errors: I'm not sure which was actually
more expensive on paper (but I suspect the Heist example.)

The big numbers, though, that's just advertising, has nothing to do with a
small game or a large game. Has nothing to do with the press tendency to use
a phrase like "movies and cars" in a slightly-negative fashion, when the
body of work would just as easily allow you to make "marketing television
shows and video games" as the label of the cliché. That might have something
to do with level of overall marketing, not the success of the ARG at all.
Maybe it is a collective memory of past marketing abuses by those particular
categories?

I guess I'm just willing to accept that when a potential client or
collaborator says "we want an ARG" it is kinda like them saying "and we want
it be VIRAL" or "and we want a WEBSITE TOO!" It is more important to know
what THEY mean when they are saying that, rather than what you as a
practitioner know it means. Frequently, those same ad agencies hire
filmmakers to shoot television commercials, sometimes television commercial
directors harbor secret dreams of making feature films! You'd be surprised
at the challenge of language in reaching shared goals. The ad agency on
Heist used to say, "So this is what it is like to make a film." Mike and I
thought, "No, this is what it is like to make an ARG for an ad agency."

So who's the one that really controls the definition? If you buy reader
response theory, it is the player community who controls that. If you buy
the auteur proposition, it is the artist's intent that controls that. If you
buy marketplace economics, it is the demands of the marketplace that define
that. If you buy into peer review, it is academic papers that define that.
If you buy into dialectics, it is the discussions happening like this.

Right now, it looks to me like the press and bloggers with mixed feelings
about the genre might be the ones defining it. That means it is just a
matter of time until someone realizes that if they can just get the press to
interview them enough, they could reshape the definition to whatever they
want. Call it the Seth Godin Scenario (bless his bald brilliant book-writing
heart.) Or maybe it will be someone who isn't as smart as Seth.

Tragedy of the Commons incoming?