[arg_discuss] Useful puzzle books?

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Thu Aug 2 17:10:47 EDT 2007

> While it is certainly valid to ask for suggestions on good puzzle books, I

> hope this is more of a side question than anything related to developing

> ARGs. Do you really think that what ARGs really need right now are more

It is more of a side question, yes. I am a storyteller far sooner than I
am a puzzle maker, and my interest is more "reference-y" than it is
"Mind-Bending". For instance, the initial two books I just picked up are
more encyclopedic than they are Games Magazine:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0313244677/
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0810907658/

With that said, I'd be remiss were I not to state that a) I AM working
on a "soft" ARG, b) and the primary site WILL include puzzles. However,
I myself have little interest in "tacking on puzzles to the narrative"
for the sake of tacking on puzzles - see my previous posts on just that
notion, on this list, specifically my comments on how puzzles should fit
into the AR, not the G (or, coyly, the "fiction" not the "chaotic").

http://five.pairlist.net/pipermail/arg_discuss/2007-June/000681.html
http://five.pairlist.net/pipermail/arg_discuss/2007-June/000685.html

If I were to collate a model to the separation, it'd be
WeLovePuzzles.com vs. (the ARG that was PerplexCity)
with "some third thing that I haven't seen done before".

--
Morbus Iff ( i'm the droid you're looking for )
aim: akaMorbus / skype: morbusiff / icq: 2927491 / jabber.org: morbus