[arg_discuss] Penny Arcade and the Ovaltine Disappointment

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Sat Jun 23 08:23:52 EDT 2007

> "You saw A Christmas Story, right? Remember when Ralphie got his decoder ring

> and locked himself in the bathroom to translate the top secret message? Well,

> that was an ARG too. And all ARGs end the same way."

> "Drink your Ovaltine?" "Buy teh Haloz."

I've seen this and, for what it's worth, I find it hilarious and, to
some degree, true. Whilst playing ILB, I /did/ run out and buy an Xbox
and Halo, and then did eventually buy Halo 2 (ugh, it, and the Xbox,
sucked, though I'm loving my 360 and will buy Halo 3 solely because I'm
an achievement whore).

> that players enjoy. Then they associate that enjoyable experience with, say, a

> brand. If the players are disappointed, then the ARG designers have done

> something wrong; they haven't provided an experience that's enjoyable enough

I will agree, to some sense, but I think it falls down on Iris (the
official name of the Halo 3 ARG). ILB stayed away from the Halo 2
association for a /long/ time [even though it was trailheaded into the
video, there was a lot of tight-lipped/implicit denial] - the story spec
was a lot of "well, if this WAS Halo 2, then this could be a monitor!".
Once it became the Halo 2 ARG, I slowly lost interest because the story
required me to know loads of Halo history and to read books based on the
Halo universe. The same thing with Halo 3 - I don't know what a monitor
is, don't care about the Forerunners, don't care about Covenant, or any
of that crap. Most people who play Halo run around and shoot things that
move. I'm one of 'em. I don't play Halo because it's a testament to
story-telling. I play Halo cos I can blow stuff up real good.

So, I'm pretty much "lost" when it comes to Iris. Oh, I'll certainly
follow the trails and await the countdowns as much as the next guy. And
I'll happily Hypercard my way through Flash apps just to see what I
download next, but I don't much "get it", because I'm not invested in
the story at all.

The same thing is happening to me with the now-dead Perplex City ARG.
The only reason I invested time and money into the cards was because the
puzzles had a purpose and a story - there were people who "needed" me to
solve them and I felt that, when I did, I'd get something more out of
the ARG (which itself had its own brand of puzzles). With no ARG, the
remaining waves of cards for Season 2 are "just" puzzles. I don't find
"just" puzzles very fun. Granted, I will learn far more from the PXC
cards than I will from an issue of Games magazine, but there's no
impetus, no ARG, no caring, for me to do so.

This, as a player, is the chief problem with some of the grassroot ARGs
that are coming out. There are plenty of spooky and mysterious websites
with plenty of spooky and mysterious puzzles. But, there's no "reason"
for me to climb that mountain save for "because it's there". I have to
believe I'm gonna find Noah's ark before I'm going to invest that much
time in the trip. For me, I want the "alternate reality" to come first,
and then the "game" (and puzzles inherent) to come second.

> have two things to worry about. First, is there anything specific we can do to

> make sure players understand and accept the marketing nature of an ARG? (Other

I wish the media would stop calling them "viral". Viral is more "dude,
check out this dog on a skateboard!" - there's no effort involved.

--
Morbus Iff ( take your rosaries off my ovaries )
aim: akaMorbus / skype: morbusiff / icq: 2927491 / jabber.org: morbus