[arg_discuss] ARGdb needs more ARG in the db

Brooke Thompson brooke at mirlandano.com
Tue Apr 3 12:02:36 EDT 2007

Hey all,

As you all may be aware, there's a new community site on the horizon. ARGdb
is a huge database of Alternate Reality Games filled with all sorts of
information. from when they ran and what they were about to who played them
and who made them. It also allows members the ability to post their memories
(from both sides of the curtain) and share contact information with one
another (don't worry, there's a rather extensive permissions system
involving user-defined friends groups).

Not only will this help us to build an easily searchable & browseable
history of games and help to link us together - it will help to achieve
several of the wants/needs mentioned on this list. Comprehensive game
credits - yep, just like IMDB, when you go to a game you will see all of the
people involved in the creation and development with a section for those
behind the scenes and one for players. Metrics - we've all wanted them and,
while this won't provide a complete solution, it is part of it. With a
combination of web analytics and demographic data, ARGdb will have the
ability to build some figures.

It sounds pretty good, doesn't it? Let me tell you, it's in beta now and the
initial reports are fantastic! There's just one problem.

We need to fill the database. While the site has ways for users to add their
own memories to games, they are not able to add or edit any of the basic
game or event data. This is by design as, aside from initially populating
the database, there isn't a real need for general users to have that sort of
access. Unfortunately, that means that we have 6+ years of history to catch
up on.

Catherwood has provided a list of games that were played on unfiction (and a
few from beyond that) which has been uploaded to a wiki so that we can fill
out the needed information. However, it's a huge task and we need as many
hands as possible on it. And, for you PMs out there, an accurate list of
credits for your game(s) would be most appreciated!

So, please, head over to http://wiki.argdb.com <http://wiki.argdb.com/> and
add whatever you can. If you're wikiphobic, feel free to email it to me and
I'll see that it gets added. If you aren't sure of the fact or your memory
needs jogged, much of the information can be found on unfiction, argn, and
the player created guides, trails, or wikis (for those games that have
them). And, if you'd like to know more about ARGdb or to sign up for the
beta, head on over to http://www.argdb.com <http://www.argdb.com/> .

Thanks!

Brooke