[arg_discuss] ARGs in Education & PMs in Australia

Christy Dena cdena at cross-mediaentertainment.com
Sat Oct 28 08:19:29 EDT 2006

Hello All,

Here is an update of some ARG action in Australia and a call for PMs:

1) ARGs in Education
I wanted to let this list know about some ARGs that have been created
for classes being run in Australia. Just this week I was called in as
an external assessor for a 3rd class in Multimedia and Digital Design
at Monash University in Victoria, Australia. The project required
students to create "crossmedia fictional worlds', of which ARGs were
an option. Both of the groups chose the 'alternate reality' design
aesthetic. They had 5 weeks to conceive, produce and implement the
worlds. They used numerous websites, emails, postcards, newsletters,
forums, stickers and so on.

This isn't strictly the first, as I covered an ARG assignment created
in Queensland in the forthcoming IGDA ARG SIG Whitepaper (I hope that
will be out soon -- Adam??).

2) ARG Design Workshops
Also, I've been asked to run 2 workshops on ARG design as part of the
Cybergames conference happening this Dec in Perth, Australia:

http://www.cgie2006.murdoch.edu.au/workshop.html#W2

I will be using design techniques from cross-media entertainment in
general, techniques I've garnered from reverse-engineering ARGs, and
various ARG design conversations on the web. BUT, I would prefer it,
of course, if there was a PM there to present. Evan Jones will be
Aus, but will leave just before this date.

3) Evan Jones is touring Australia, and here is one of the talks he
will be giving:

Extended Entertainment Experiences, AFTRS
http://www.aftrs.edu.au/index.cfm?
objectID=789966E3-2A54-23A3-6A16BBC1DD5F23F0

So, if you're a PM and may be able to be in Australia early Dec --
let me know!

Best,
Christy

School of Arts, Letters and Media