[arg_discuss] Advertising in games

Colin Gehrig colin at colin.com.au
Fri May 26 01:55:27 EDT 2006

The list has been a little bit quite lately so I thought I might drop
this in.

There has been discussion in the past on viable business models for
ARGs. One of those models is to have an arrangement similar to
Television with advertisers paying to be placed in game. It seems that
this is being attempted by "The Lost Experience"*. CNN have an article
that gives a bit of insight into the motivations of the producers;
http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/25/news/companies/commercials/

It will be interesting to see how it plays out and what the player and
media reaction is to it. Will this see a whole new generation of ARGs?
More integration between TV shows and web content? Or just a bunch of
second rate copies?

  -colin

*Background: Basically an ARG, but not being marketed with that title.
It's (apparently) going to tell players more about the Lost(as in the TV
show) universe and stand independent of the show. As always ARGN have
covered the story;
http://www.argn.com/archive/000414review_the_lost_experience.php