[arg_discuss] Wii/Designing towards the hardcore

Leslie Nassar leslie at zoematic.com
Mon May 8 19:23:00 EDT 2006

I'm reminded of a quote from Steve Jobs; "It's really hard to design
products by focus groups. A lot of times, people don't know what they
want until you show it to them."

In Wii's case, not listening to the customers is probably a good thing.
It wasn't so good in the N64 days though, when customers were screaming
for discs but Nintendo insisted on cartridges.  That decision may have
satisfied the consumer's need for Mario64, but it was up to Sony to
surprise people.

Ah, hindsight...