[arg_discuss] [pm] Commercial vs. Grassroots, Player or PM?

Michelle Senderhauf argdiscuss at varin.org
Fri Mar 31 17:53:21 EST 2006

"Andrea Phillips" <andrea at mindcandydesign.com> said:

> But for those of us who have been in both pairs of shoes, I  think we
> largely identify with one group or the other. In my case, I  identify a
> lot more strongly with the PM side of the curtain, and I'm  forming a
> theory that grassroots PMs tend to identify more strongly  with players.

I'm a relatively new to the PM side of the curtain, but if I had to choose
one side or the other to particpate in, I'd pick the PM side.  I definitely
see more appeal in the creation of the games over the playing of games.
Even when I do play games now, I find myself looking at the game from a PM
point of view.  Why did they choose that?  I wonder why they didn't do this?

"Andrea Phillips" <andrea at mindcandydesign.com> said:

> That's not to say that commercial designers aren't also trying to  make
> great art, compelling stories, or fabulous and interesting group
> experiences, because that's clearly also the case.

Personally, my reasoning is for the art.  I can't see any other reason why I
would devote so much time and effort to something without getting paid.  ;)

"Andrea Phillips" <andrea at mindcandydesign.com> said:

> But grassroots teams also, I think, make games to earn prestige in  the
> eyes of the ARG community, and that's the bit that makes for the
> interesting divide. I speculate that a grassroots team identifies  more
> strongly with players, even when they have a game on, because of  this
> currency of reputation to be earned.

I definitely don't think it is true for all.  I tend to shy away from
prestige and attention from friends and the community.  I think I would
actually be a little more comfortable staying permanently behind the
curtain, but in reality that doesn't do much for the resume.  ;)

Michelle Senderhauf
http://www.varin.org