[arg_discuss] [pm] Commercial vs. Grassroots, Player or PM?

Andrea Phillips andrea at mindcandydesign.com
Fri Mar 31 17:16:41 EST 2006

This isn't in any way the post I planned on making, but it just kind
of fell out of my fingertips and I feel compelled to do something
with it now.

Some of us here have only been players, and some of us have only been
PMs. But for those of us who have been in both pairs of shoes, I
think we largely identify with one group or the other. In my case, I
identify a lot more strongly with the PM side of the curtain, and I'm
forming a theory that grassroots PMs tend to identify more strongly
with players.

When you're making a game, you're making it for a reason. I'm going
to go out on a limb here and say that if you're a commercial
designer, you want to convince the players to do something pertaining
to a goal of yours. This comes back to that contentious relationship.
A commercial ARG wants to ultimately convince you to buy puzzle
cards, or see a movie, or buy a car, or a video game, or....
something. It's selling an idea that sells a product. And... players
*know* this, and have their ears perked up looking for a sign that
they're being taken advantage of (this goes back to that adversarial
player-pm dynamic I want to talk about but don't here :). It's your
job as a good designer to deliver a game that conveys your message
and is *still fun,* because nobody's going to stick around for a six-
week infomercial.

That's not to say that commercial designers aren't also trying to
make great art, compelling stories, or fabulous and interesting group
experiences, because that's clearly also the case. And there's a lot
of overlap on these grounds, because grassroots teams make games for
those reasons, too.

But grassroots teams also, I think, make games to earn prestige in
the eyes of the ARG community, and that's the bit that makes for the
interesting divide. I speculate that a grassroots team identifies
more strongly with players, even when they have a game on, because of
this currency of reputation to be earned. There's a stronger tie to
the community, a bigger stake in its overall health and well-being.
I'd love to hear from some of you grassroots PMs, though, because
this is admittedly guesswork on my part and I've never been there.
I'd also be interested in hearing from people who were deeply
involved with the Unfiction community and later became a part of a
commercial team (Adrian?)

For my part, again, I know I don't identify as a player anymore,
though I used to. And maybe that's a mistake. Maybe if I still
considered myself a player, I'd come up with more interesting,
creative ideas. :)

--
Andrea Phillips
http://www.perplexcity.com