[arg_discuss] [players] Communities and resources

Andrea Phillips andrea at mindcandydesign.com
Fri Mar 31 14:10:20 EST 2006

Well, *I'm* sure regretting going to bed early for once last
night. :) I have a couple of responses to the thread that's going on,
and some of 'em I'm going to be splitting off into another thread
shortly. First, some quick answers to Colin's questions directly:

On Mar 30, 2006, at 4:59 PM, Colin Gehrig wrote:

> Are places like Unfiction.com considered critical to the success of
> your
> games?

Very, very important, though not necessarily essential -- see below. :)

> Do you plan to target these audiences?

For those of us in the commercial ARG arena, I think we all hope to
get an audience quite a bit wider than Unfiction; ideally, we'd like
to have an audience a large as your average blockbuster film. UF and
ARGN are opinion-makers, though, and if they talk smack about your
game, you're probably dead in the water. You might be able to pull it
out anyway, if it's a fantastic game, but... UF is usually the first
to notice an ARG. Word-of-mouth is the currency of our trade, and if
that first word-of-mouth is "This sucks, don't bother," it's a real
killer.

> Do you think they help or hinder the genre?

This depends on when you ask me. :) I think it's a little of both. As
a PM, it's really wonderful to have a fairly simple place to get a
quick read on what your audience might be thinking and doing. I wish
to high heaven there were more such ways. It can be frustrating,
though, to see little diversity of thought in speculation, in solve
strategy, and so forth. In a way, the degree to which everyone plays
nice on UF can discourage someone -- especially someone new -- from
piping up and saying "You know, I really disagree and think X about
Y." Especially if there's already even a small amount of consensus
that Z about Y is correct.

And there are other problems, too. An example: It's also possible and
even easy to follow some games entirely from within UF, which as a
player at Cloudmakers was wonderful. It meant I didn't have to go
hunting for updates myself. But as a PM looking at webstats, it might
be nice to know if Site A is getting lower hits because nobody cares
about it and that angle of the story, or because the full body of its
text was posted on the Unforums and so nobody needs to bother
visiting no matter how compelling an update it is... you lose some
measures of interest and activity.

But don't get me wrong -- I don't wish UF would go away. I just wish
there were more groups a lot like it. And we have to recognise that
without our players, we've got nothing. :)

> Are player created guides helping your ARG, or are they just confusing
> new-comers? Do you depend on them, or make your own in-game guide?

I think this depends on what you mean by 'guide.' Perplex City has a
wiki, which I consider a very useful resource for the players and
even for us (if nothing else, it's useful to do a quick check and
make sure if our audience knows that, say, Donnie works on the
docks). That's not to say we don't have our own internal resources,
as well, about which I should decline to speak. :)

I know Elan told us that during the Beast, they relied heavily on the
Trail we made. I suspect PM use of player resources for their own
nefarious ends is pretty common, but I also suspect it's something
you'll find it difficult to get anyone to really solidly admit to doing.

> Is there something you would like to see the players do that they
> don't
> do currently?

Well, I'd like to see multiple communities, personally. It would show
me that the genre is growing beyond the particular kind of person who
feels comfortable hanging around at Unfiction, which as I will say
below is NOT everybody, no matter how great a job the people at
Unfiction are doing.

-----

So, in response to the way this thread has been going as a whole,
here are some of my overall thoughts on the relationship between
players and the established UF community, the role of UF, etc., etc.

If I'm reading the conversation correctly, Wendy's suggesting that UF
and similar groups can be cliquey and elitist; Krystyn is pointing to
a cultural imperative at UF to be kind to newbies. I think both of
these arguments have merit. I think no matter how inclusive and
fabulous UF may be, though, there will be a (potentially large) group
of players or would-be players who don't feel comfortable joining UF.
Maybe because they don't have any friends there already, maybe
because they feel they don't know the ropes, maybe the culture isn't
one they mesh with very well. Maybe they make one post and nobody
really responds, so they feel unwelcome and don't come back. Maybe
they get trouted and take it the wrong way. Maybe they wanted a place
where they can feel comfortable using less-than-grammatically-correct
language.

So regardless of the actual qualities of the group you talk about,
there will be people for whom it simply *doesn't work.* And as a
designer, this is one of the things that can keep me up at night, so
to speak -- what happens to those players that find UF and reject it,
for whatever reason? Do they still play? Do they abandon the whole
game? I would expect them to go off and seed their own communities,
and it is perpetually surprising to me that we primarily only have
Unfiction. Given my experience of the internet and digital
communities in general, I'm surprised that each new game doesn't
spawn at least five or six additional communities every single
time... but it doesn't seem to work like that, and that question of
'why not?' is one that I'd love to have an answer for.

Here's the illustrative anecdote from my own personal history: I
didn't actually join the Cloudmakers community as soon as I found it.
I didn't want to join at all, but one day there was a file I wanted
to see that I couldn't access without joining the group, so I only
joined to get access to it. The friend who had been pulling me into
the game gradually egged me into posting some spec, and later into
joining the chat (though she subsequently become less involved). If
it weren't for this friend, though, I wouldn't have joined at all,
wouldn't have hopped on IRC, and certainly never would have become a
moderator!

Even later, I never joined Unfiction as a player, because (and those
of you who know me personally, don't laugh) my natural reticence
makes joining a new community really uncomfortable to me. I burned
out on ARGs pretty hard at the end of the Beast, and then later, when
I was recovered, I felt  a little bit unwelcome by virtue of the fact
that I hadn't been involved from the very beginning (and so never
even *tried* to become a part of the community). I guess I needed
that somebody to invite me in, and that never happened. (And really,
why should anyone have done that? :) But it does demonstrate why UF
just doesn't work for everybody. I'm sure I'm not the only person
like this out in the great wide internet.

I admit to following UF (badly) now, as a designer, because I
consider keeping track of that particular pool of players a pretty
crucial piece of feedback. In fact, in the absence of multiple
communities and above-and-beyond bloggers taking up your torch, it
can be the only vivid source of feedback you've got.

--
Andrea Phillips
http://www.perplexcity.com