[arg_discuss] Re: Communities and resources

despain at quantumcontent.com despain at quantumcontent.com
Fri Mar 31 03:34:38 EST 2006

The problem as I see it is that some of the things developers might
say to each other could inadvertently offend the major player base our
games are aimed at if they are listening in on the conversation.

For example, someone has already said my point of view is "anti-game"
and I have to wonder if that would affect how those players might
interact with any games they knew I was involved in.

Have I shot myself in the foot here?

I took this on because a) I'm not endangering any currently-running
game and b) I'm interested to see how this plays out. I've been
involved in online communities for 14 years, so hashing out
misunderstandings via e-mail doesn't scare me.

But in some ways developers use one language to talk to each other and
another language to talk to players. It's not easy to speak in both at
the same time. I think this mailing list is a really interesting
space, and I'm curious to see how we'll navigate this situation.

Wendy Despain
quantumcontent.com