[arg_discuss] Re: Communities and resources

Brooke Thompson brooke at mirlandano.com
Fri Mar 31 03:13:06 EST 2006

Mike, I disagree about the possibility of being able to step back and look
at the community objectively. It is certainly not easy to do and I fail at
it as much as I succeed. However, I do think that it is possible and I think
one way to make it easier, is to hear from people, with a variety of levels
of involvement with the community. It is only through hearing/reading others
with different vantage points that we can look at the community from a
broader level of understanding. That is true whether one is an observer of
the community, highly involved in the community, or completely unaware of
the community.

And, you're right, in this forum - a list set up for ARG designers and those
interested in ARGs - we do need to be able to discuss UF and other player
resources openly and honestly and without fear of making people feel that
they are attacked. We make games for communities and we need to be able to
discuss the tools that help the community experience the games - for better
and for worse.

I certainly can't speak for the others as actively involved in the community
as I am, but I am very interested to hear other thoughts and insights,
whether they conform with my notions or not. I can't promise that I will
always be objective, but sometimes there is much to be learned from the more
personal and emotional insights.

So, please, do share. And, while I understand your wariness, it's only from
crossing those bridges that we can make them easier to cross in the future.

(yeah, I notice that I didn't answer any of Colin's questions or offer any
of my own opinions. It's not something that I can speak clearly on at 3 AM
;))