[arg_discuss] Sophie Calle

Edgar Martin martinpds at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 21 04:31:22 EDT 2006

Hi Jess,

I visited your web and read some of your articles. I agree when you say that The Beast “let players walk away from the whole experience without feeling like whores to the marketing machine.” That was probably part of its TINAG allure.

As for me, I’m more of a maker than a player. I am more driven by creativity though I like to immerse myself in other peoples' works. The ARG I’m working on is still at an early stage of development and is intrinsically related to one of the feature films I’m involved in. I’m not allowed to reveal much of it but I can tell you that the idea is not to create an ARG spin-off from the movie.

By the way, the Neurocam experience reminds me a lot of Sophie Calle’s works (she is a French art performer who inspired Paul Auster to write his novel “Leviathan”, which is a book I strongly recommend). If you like John Fowles, you’ll probably enjoy it. It is actually a pity that Sophie Calle is not so well-known among the ARG community.