[arg_discuss] Develop 2006 + Group Gathering

Adam Martin adam at mindcandydesign.com
Fri Jul 14 08:41:39 EDT 2006

A much smaller gathering this time (obscured by the megalithic amBX
stand in front of the IGDA booth), but we had 7 people come along mostly
to learn about ARG's, from backgrounds as diverse as AI, mobile, and
audio. Hopefully some new faces on the list in the coming days...

Develop was a good conference - short, sweet, and by the beach. For a
2-day conference, we managed to get in to a surprising number of
parties, although I think the VIP room at the Ocean club probably won
hands down. A whole lot of mingling later, and yours-truly several
pounds lighter in Perplex City cards now transferred to the hands and
pockets of the great and the good, I'm confident the ARG message is
continuing to spread far and fast.

My personal feeling is that this year, at GDC and Develop, the
receptiveness for ARG's and interest in them from developers seems to
have increased considerably. That's partly that we've got better at
distilling out the most interesting - and most revolutionary - aspects,
but I think it's also the knock-on effect from the big mainstream
successes of gameplay and story of the last year or so, combined with
the mini-boom as people ramp up for next gen.

Organizers permitting, I hope to get the slides for my talk up this
weekend. It was a relatively small audience, but given I was competing
against Sega's party, Codemasters party, and ... a free Razorlight show
on the beach, I think we did well ;).

--
Adam Martin
CTO, Mind Candy Ltd