[arg_discuss] another introduction

Steffen P Walz walz at arch.ethz.ch
Fri Jan 6 07:29:32 EST 2006

greetings everyone,

i have been having a professional and academic interest in
entertainment for a bit -

in my professional life, i started off as a writer, producer, and
format developer for a german nationwide TV satire show; sang in a
indie band (we toured with green day, but had a tour bus that
constantly broke down); worked and freelanced as a creative lead for
a number of german web agencies, serving clients such as
DaimlerChrysler, BMW, and O2 with cross media guerilla entertainment
concepts. as a consultant, i co-initiated & projected the first game
design program at a state university in german speaking countries.
the program commenced at the university for art media and design in
zurich, switzerland, in fall 2004.

more lately, i have founded my own music label playbe records,
experimenting with alternative content distribution - last summer, we
scored 150K downloads with an ironic election song about
chancelorette angela merkel. i have also tested the waters with a
hippiesque game-like distribution concept entitled "careware", where
customers could order a CD online, have it shipped to their homes for
free, and then decide what they thought the product was worth by
either wiring money, or sending back a counter value. this wasn't
really successful in terms of sales, but we received interesting
stuff, e.g. buttered bread, fleurop vouchers, weird & outdated
currency etc..

speaking of experiments:

in my academic life, i am currently pursuing my ph.d. at the swiss
federal institute of technology in zurich; i am putting together a
theory / taxonomy of serious pervasive game design, whilst realizing
prototypes from time to time. basically, i am looking at ways to take
advantage of, or develop game design principles, and combine them
with emerging mobile, sensor, interface, positioning, gesture
recognition technologies for non-entertainment purposes (education,
marketing, policy making).

one of my games was http://www.madcountdown.com (that's the
documentation), an alternate reality find-the-bomb-before-it-blows-up
game from 2001/02 that merged WiFi networked PDAs, multi-player
action and face2face collaboration, actors, real built game objects -
e.g. bomb, puzzles, clues on answering machines -, automated phone
booth calls, and "rescue headquaters" from where i MCed.

currently, and together with colleagues at the RWTH aachen
university, i am designing a location based spell-casting game for
cell phones as a permanent service in the city of regensburg in
germany, see http://www.rex-regensburg.de/im-stadtraum/rexplorer/
(sorry, only german at the moment). we call this type of mechanic
"cellcasting";-).

best,
spw

http://wiki.arch.ethz.ch/twiki/bin/view/Main/SteffenPWalz
__
Steffen P. Walz
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH)    ETH Zurich-Hoenggerberg
Game Design Research                                       Department
of Architecture
Phone +41 44 633 4025                                       HBT /
CAAD, HIL E 15.1
walz at arch.ethz.ch
CH-8093 Zurich