[arg_discuss] Whitepaper:What do you want? (call for ideas)

Alex Fleetwood alexfleetwood at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 06:24:51 EST 2006

Okay, as a SIG lurker I'm going to front up with a material
contribution to this discussion. My background is in theatre & film
and I'm working with a director in the UK on an installation theatre
ARG at the moment. I'm also interested in street games and attended
the Come Out And Play festival in October.

One of the things that really struck me at COaP was the absence of an
agreed language to describe these activities. There were as many
different terminologies as there were games. People's excitement about
their own spin on how play, narrative, collective action and game
design interact with each other seemed to preclude them from accepting
other definitions. Is there a reductive definition of what an ARG is
that everyone can agree on? And from that can you start to deduce
sub-categories of ARG? We, the ARG SIG, hold these truths to be
self-evident; an ARG is...

I'd also like a repository of articles organised along the lines of
the Game Design Reader (MIT Press, Salen/Zimmerman) that catalogue the
best writing on ARGs to date. I feel that the best any PM could do
this stage is to reflect upon their own work & leave it to others to
note the similarities & differences with other projects. I wouldn't
expect Spike Jonze, Michel Gondry, Sofia Coppola & Chris Cunningham to
reach detailed agreement about what makes a good feature film... I
played Perplex City for a while and I have a view on it but I wouldn't
advance it here - I'd rather wait until I've run something which
demonstrates my own take on this thrilling set of ideas and talk about
that.

Also, anyone who is interested in working with me on a London
COaP-style event next Spring please get in touch.

best wishes

Alex (alexfleetwood at gmail.com)