[arg_discuss] Sony's PSP viral marketing efforts

Yang treeoflife at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 20:59:00 EST 2006

As a followup it seems Sony has apologised. If one can call it that. They
didn't even use the word 'sorry'.

http://alliwantforxmasisapsp.com/blog/
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/sorry/sony-fesses-up-on-viral-site-221598.php

The apology almost sounds like part of the original plan. I wouldn't be
suprised if it was, as they've driven many people to their site. The media
exposure has been far greater than if they just launched a regular PSP site.
Crafty marketing? Probably. I can imagine for every person offended by this
campaign, there are others who respect or are even impressed by the
techniques employed (and even feel special/intelligent that they 'get it'
whereas others haven't). It's all about perspective.

Like ARGs, most consumers/players will never know the truth behind it all. I
guess that's half the fun and anticipation. There are a lot of similarities
between this kind of marketing and ARGs, as have been pointed out
previously. It seems there is a lot to learn and share. Whether it's
right/moral for ARG developers to indulge in such things comes down to
personal/team values.

But in the end, if you've reached and retained enough of your target
demographic (and they enjoyed it), is it a success and should it continue...
no matter which techniques were employed or how many 'others' were
offended/repelled/lost in the process?