[arg_discuss] whitepaper:wiki, next version

Brian Clark bclark at gmdstudios.com
Wed Dec 13 14:08:50 EST 2006

>How do you envision that we come up with a set of core values

>for this group?

That's a tough one, and I certainly don't have any authoritative answers.
Perhaps it helps to go back to the stated mission "to facilitate the sharing
of their knowledge and promotion of ARG's to mainstream games developers"
and ask ourselves how we can get to that point by embracing the other part
of the mission to "bring together a wide spectrum of experts in the
state-of-the-art of the ARG genre"?

For example, a brainstorming session on what we imagine the biggest
misconceptions other game developers have about the ARG genre might be an
interesting starting point. From that, we could try to develop short and
concise answers that also provide the springboard into deeper explorations
in individual whitepapers.

Another example might be the dangerous but necessary task to come up with
some kind of definition of ARG as a genre (in its most inclusive sense) and
from that come up with examples from other areas of game design that grapple
with similar issues (for example, collective activity in ARGs and how that
is similar or different from collective activity in MMOs).

These also seem like the kind of activities that could be open and
inclusive: a topic like business models or production techniques would
probably always rely on a smaller set of the group than the bigger questions
of evangelizing the genre.

Brian