[arg_discuss] Sony's PSP viral marketing efforts

Mark Heggen markheggen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 11:17:10 EST 2006

Yeah, I certainly agree that running such a site it is probably out of
the ARG community's jurisdiction. However, like it or not, public and
government reactions to these viral campaigns will have a real effect
on the future of ARGs. To someone unfamiliar with the nuances and
details of ARGs or viral campaigns, I fear that the two end up being
lumped together. The two utilize a lot of the same distribution routs
and modes of communication, and any rules, judgements, or stereotypes
applied to bad viral campaigns has a high probability of carrying over
to ARGs. Certainly people closely involved with the community will
sort them out, but to newcomers and outsiders I fear that the lines of
delineation are easily blurred.