[arg_discuss] IF is not dead

adam adam at mindcandydesign.com
Thu Apr 27 03:33:36 EDT 2006

John Evans wrote:
> Yep, that's good stuff. Basic stuff, the kind of thing I suspect a lot of game
> designers know instinctively, but definitely good. I remember hearing
> someone talk about this...I don't know who, but the basic idea of game
> design is focusing on *what the player does*. It's kind of a good thing to
> keep in mind at E3 and such places.

Yep, its the core of most Game Concept docs - e.g.
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/19991019/ryan_02.htm

readers as if they are the players. Use the second-person perspective --
"you." Try to make this section an exciting narrative of the player's
experience. Encompass all the key elements that define the core game
play by describing exactly what the player does and sees. Avoid
specifics such as mouse-clicks and keystrokes, but don't be too vague.
You want the readers to become the player's character. Hover your detail
level right above the GUI interaction. You would say something such as,
"You scan your tactical radar and pick up two more bogies coming up the
rear," instead of "You click on your tactical radar button and the
window pops up revealing two bogies coming up the rear." The description
section should make the content and entertainment value of the game
obvious and convincing."

(I'm sure that *used* to not require a login :(. Registration is free
and IIRC you dont need to supply a real email address, so...)

Adam