[gameAI_news] Game AI Newsletter (02/2008)

AI SIG List for Game AI News gameai_news at igda.org
Sun Feb 17 13:45:21 EST 2008

Hi everyone,

Wow - quite a while since the last edition of the newsletter! My apologies,
but starting up all the research activities here at the university kept me
pretty busy (the article from me below describes a bit what we're doing in
our lab)! With everything up and running now ... by the way... anyone
interested in joining? We have tons of open positions, hehe... anyway, here
is the next edition - right before GDC!

By the way, we will soon integrate our AIISC (Artificial Intelligence
Interface Standards Committee) with the IGDA AI SIG website, moving to an
open approach where the whole game development community can interact and
contribute. More on this soon.

With GDC just starting up, here are some sessions you might not want to
miss:

* Artificial Intelligence in Computer Games [Roundtables]
https://www.cmpevents.com/GD08/a.asp?option=C&V=11&SessID=6156
Wednesday, 2:30pm-3:30pm, Room 114, North Hall
https://www.cmpevents.com/GD08/a.asp?option=C&V=11&SessID=6566
Thursday, 5:30pm-6:30pm, Room 113, North Hall
https://www.cmpevents.com/GD08/a.asp?option=C&V=11&SessID=6565
Friday, 9:00am-10:00am, Room 111, North Hall

* Procedural Data Generation in FAR CRY 2
https://www.cmpevents.com/GD08/a.asp?option=C&V=11&SessID=6240
Thursday, 9:00am-10:00am, Room 132, North Hall

* Playing to Lose: AI and "CIVILIZATION"
https://www.cmpevents.com/GD08/a.asp?option=C&V=11&SessID=6236
Thursday, 9:00am-10:00am, Room 2018, West Hall

* Streaming Open World Pathfinding
https://www.cmpevents.com/GD08/a.asp?option=C&V=11&SessID=6256
Thursday, 12:00pm-1:00pm, Room 2007, West Hall

* Creating a Character in DRAKE'S FORTUNE
https://www.cmpevents.com/GD08/a.asp?option=C&V=11&SessID=6169
Friday, 9:00am-10:00am, Room 2001, West Hall

* Designing and Implementing a Dynamic Camera System
https://www.cmpevents.com/GD08/a.asp?option=C&V=11&SessID=6174
Friday, 9:00am-10:00am, Room 3004, West Hall

* Taming the Mob: Creating believable crowds in ASSASSIN'S CREED
https://www.cmpevents.com/GD08/a.asp?option=C&V=11&SessID=6996
Friday, 10:30am-11:30am, Room 132, North Hall

* Semantic Environment Sensor System: Data-driven Interactions of Characters
with the World
https://www.cmpevents.com/GD08/a.asp?option=C&V=11&SessID=6643
Friday, 2:30pm-2:50pm, Room 131, North Hall

* Building a Better Battle: HALO 3 AI Objectives
https://www.cmpevents.com/GD08/a.asp?option=C&V=11&SessID=6863
Friday, 4:00pm-5:00pm, Room 3004, West Hall

And I guess Ray Kurzweil will also have a bit to say on AI in his keynote!

I missed the info on the annual AI programmers dinner this year, but if you
interested, interrogate Neil Kirby or Steve Rabin if you bump into them at
GDC!

Some new game AI articles and resources on the web:

ONLINE RESOURCE/PROCEEDINGS:
Proceedings of the ICAPS 2007 Workshop on Planning in Games
http://www.plg.inf.uc3m.es/icaps-pg2007/

ONLINE RESOURCE/PROCEEDINGS:
Proceedings of the 2007 IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence and
Games
http://csapps.essex.ac.uk/cig/2007/index.jsp?page=papers.html

ONLINE RESOURCE/ARTICLE:
Game AI is Dead. Long Live Game AI!
by Alexander Nareyek
IEEE Intelligent Systems, 22(1), 9-11
http://www.ai-center.com/references/nareyek-07-gameai.html

ONLINE RESOURCE/ARTICLE:
Modeling Opinion Flow in Humans Using Boids Algorithm & Social Network
Analysis
by Skip Cole
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/1815/modeling_opinion_flow_in_humans_
.php
ONLINE RESOURCE/ARTICLE:
Uncanny AI: Artificial Intelligence In The Uncanny Valley
by David Hayward
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/1436/uncanny_ai_artificial_.php

ONLINE RESOURCE/ARTICLE:
Book Excerpt: AI for Game Developers / Flocking
by Glenn Seeman and David Bourg
http://www.gamecareerguide.com/features/282/book_excerpt_ai_for_game_develo
pers.php

ONLINE RESOURCE/MEDIA:
Bungie Podcast on Halo 3's AI
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=12705

ONLINE RESOURCE:
Alex J. Champandard's game AI repository (with news/articles/forums/etc)
http://aigamedev.com/

... and hundreds of pages of game AI info in this new book:

BOOK:
AI Game Programming Wisdom 4
edited by Steve Rabin
Thomson Course Technology
http://www.courseptr.com/ptr_detail.cfm?isbn=1-58450-523-0

Here are some links on some (relatively) new commercial players in the game
AI area:

COMMERCIAL GAME AI SOLUTION:
xaitment
http://xaitment.com/html/products/features.html

COMMERCIAL GAME AI SOLUTION:
Artificial Technology
http://www.artificial-technology.com/produkte.php5?lang=eng

COMMERCIAL GAME AI SOLUTION:
AiLive
http://www.ailive.net/products.html

Lots of calls/events coming up:

EVENT:
Apply AI Innovation 2008
Date tbc
http://www.applyai.com/

CALL FOR PAPERS:
International Journal of Computer Games Technology
Special Issue on Artificial Intelligence for Computer Games
Submission deadline: May 1, 2008
http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijcgt/si/aicg.html

EVENT / CALL FOR PAPERS:
2008 IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence and Games
Submission deadline: July 15, 2008
http://www.csse.uwa.edu.au/cig08/home.html

EVENT / CALL FOR PAPERS:
Fourth Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Interactive Digital
Entertainment (AIIDE'08)
October 22-24, 2008
Submission deadline: April 22, 2008
http://www.aiide.org/

And some stuff from last year's AIIDE:

ONLINE RESOURCE/ARTICLES:
Some papers and posters from AIIDE 2007
http://aigamedev.com/coverage/aiide-2007-papers
http://aigamedev.com/coverage/aiide-2007-posters

Finally - Have some time to help Jeff Orkin in his experiment to generate AI
behaviors that mimic real player behaviors? Head over to:
http://web.media.mit.edu/~jorkin/restaurant/

Have fun at GDC! (Unluckily, I have to skip it again because of the running
semester.)

Best,
Alexander Nareyek <alex at ai-center.com>
Chair of the IGDA's AI SIG
http://www.igda.org/ai/

P.S.:
Did I miss anything? If you want to add anything for the next newsletter,
please let me know!

P.P.S.:
By the way, just as a note - please don't ask about including "general AI"
links in this newsletter. The field of AI is much too broad to cover, and
there are other newsletters out there that target the general topic in a
much better way. This newsletter is only for links/events/resources with a
strong "game" emphasis.

--

Alexander Nareyek
http://www.ai-center.com/home/alex/

Tel: +65 9223 1756 (mobile/cell)
Fax: +65 6779 1103

Director @ interactive intelligence Labs:
http://www.ai-center.com/ii-labs/
Block E4, Level 5, Room 25
Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering
National University of Singapore
4 Engineering Drive 3
Singapore 117576

Director @ NUS Games Lab: