[Coco] CoCo 3 HTTPS:\\ GUI Web Browser

farna at amc-mag.com farna at amc-mag.com
Fri May 3 08:30:14 EDT 2024

I don't see how this is lower cost than a Chromebook. You're essentially
using a CoCo3 as a terminal for a Raspberry Pi. It's lower cost if you
already have a CoCo, but the display will be so inferior to a cheap
Chromebook or older cheap laptop running Chrome OS Flex, or better yet
one of the "lean" Linux versions like Mint XFCE. You can also use the
browser on something like an Amazon Firestick. It's a bit clunky, but
with a Bluetooth keyboard isn't that bad. I've used it to show friends
web pages on my HD TV. It's an interesting experiment for sure, but a
keyboard and screen on the Pi is an all-round better solution.

I found that a real big screen isn't very good for many things! I had a
computer connected to my 50" screen in my living room years ago. Great
for games and things like YouTube, had to get a chair an move closer to
the screen to read e-mail and some text intensive web pages! Then having
to turn your head left to right as I read was annoying, so I'd downsize
the window. That and having to sit closer to the TV made it rather
impractical for general use. Still a great entertainment/game option
though.

--
Frank Swygert
Fix-It-Frank Handyman Services