[Coco] The CoCo Crew Podcast -- Episode 95 is available!

Jim Brain (2022-23 GCCC President) president at glensideccc.com
Tue May 2 11:41:35 EDT 2023

On 5/2/2023 7:57 AM, John W. Linville via Coco wrote:
> Episode 95 -- CoCoFEST! 2023; Review of Kung-Fu Dude
>
> http://cococrew.org/cococrew-podcast-95.html
>
> http://cococrew.org/
>
> Along with the usual News and Announcements, the hosts give a recap
> of their experience at CoCoFEST! 2021, including the new venue!
> Also, Neil gives us his review of Kung-Fu Dude.
>
> Now come along and join the Crew! 🙂
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eocpwPf5LlQ

The date above caused me a slight pause. The 2021 show was indeed a
blessing, after the dismal cancellation of the 2020 festivities, but I
think it's already been reviewed elsewhere.

On behalf of GCCC, thank you for the kind words in the podcast segment.
I know Mike was unable to join us, but I am glad yourself, Boise, and
Neil enjoyed the show. I also felt the recently renovated rooms,
convenient location near many restaurants, and reasonable floor layout
solidified this option over the others we toured.

To confirm your statements, the show floor is indeed slightly smaller
than the Elk Grove Village location (3800sq ft versus 4400 sq ft), but I
always had concerns about filling the 4400 sq ft. Having a bit of extra
space is not bad per se, but too much can create a perception that an
event is not well supported or attended.

The show segment hinted at this, but the auction/presentation space did
not work quite as well. This was a concern but we made the call to use
the smaller rooms given their proximity to the main hall.  There is a
larger room down the hall which would work better (and allows for people
to enter/exit without disrupting the speaker/auctioneer) we will work to
secure for 2024.

Concerning show numbering, since I know a few folks had questions,
here's how we're handling:

The first show was 5/30/1992-5/31/1992.  That trend continued until the
2019 show, #28.  Since we did not have an official show in 2020, the
29th show was in late 2021 (11/6-7).  Thus, this year's show was the
31st official show, but is the 32nd year since the last RAINBOWFest.
"Last" is included tongue in cheek every year. We continue to use
"Annual" in the show title, since common guidance is that the frequency
denotes current practice, not historical occurrence. List subscribers
can feel free to debate the merits of doing so at their leisure.

In researching, I found a few tidbits of trivia:

  * During the first fest, at least some of the time, the word was
    styled as "CoCofest" and included "last" in the quotes, so "last
    CoCofest"!
    (https://www.glensideccc.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/gccc12_4nl.pdf
    , page 3)
  * Since the first show was in Volume 12 of the newsletter, I assume
    the club was 12 years old in 1992, or started in 1980 or earlier.
  * The show was a division of DNM Enterprises, Inc, a corporation of
    the state of Michigan.  There's got to be a story there. (DNM might
    be wrong, the copy online is hard to read at that size of text)
  * Tony Podraza was President during the initial years.  I have not
    looked through all the records, but Tony's been president for a
    "long" time.

--
Jim Brain, 2022-23 President
Glenside Color Computer Club (GCCC)