[Coco] 64K Coco mode and the MC6883

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Mar 28 10:45:02 EDT 2023

On 3/28/23 01:24, RETRO Innovations via Coco wrote:
> On 3/28/2023 12:17 AM, RETRO Innovations via Coco wrote:
>

> I also think S=7 is the "don't select anything" choice.  Routing another
> pin to disable the 74ls138 would have pushed over the pin limit, and if
> they only needed 7 decodes, the 8th could be the "don't use this" decode.
>
> Jim

And that comes full circle, to the bitch I've had for 30 some years Jim.

All of the peripheral stuff we've ever used on the coco has a max
requirement of 4 address registers, The fact that the ls138 only decoded
to a $20 byte equ, 32 bytes wide, has crippled the number of i/o
accessories usable. Just think of the i/o possibility's available had
the decoding been down to the 4 byte wide level. Yet no one, in their
wildest dreams about a coco4, has proposed a fix for that huge, glaring
lack of adequate i/o decoding.

Is there a reason for that I've never understood? If there is, please
explain it to me.

The only thing I can imagine is a rewrite of os9 to include a full
remapping of its page 0 use, using up all of lsn0 on the disk.  With
modern SSD disks, I don't see that as a problem.  Traffic on spinning
rust, particularly on floppies where heads actually touch the disk, yes,
a huge multipass erasure problem.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
  - Louis D. Brandeis