[Coco] Am9511 Arithmetic Processing Unit Cartridge Pak for the Color Computer

Mark Overholser apple2 at markoverholser.com
Tue Mar 14 11:07:50 EDT 2023

   On 03/11/2023 12:13 PM PST Don Barber via Coco
   <[1]coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:

   Hi folks! I made another thing! You may remember my past crazy projects

   such as CoCo RSA and the CoCo USB Serial Cartridge Pak.

   My latest project:  I designed a CoCo cartridge pak for interfacing the

   AMD 9511 Arithmetic Processor Unit. When software is designed or
   patched

   to use it, it can speed up arithmetic operations like MUL, DIV, SIN,

   COS, TAN, ASIN, ACOS, ATAN, EXP, PWR, SQRT, LN, and supporting
   functions

   (such as fixed to float conversions) significantly. Programs written in

   machine language or compiled can see significant (50-70x theoretically)

   performance gains by using the pak, especially if the parallelism the

   chip enables is exploited.

   <<SNIP>>

   Thanks,

   Don

   Don:

   Thanks for this Cool Project and ALL the Background Info..

   I have an AMD 9511 Co-Processor card for my Apple ][ but haven't
   "delved into" what it takes to interface it with Assembly Language with
   the 6502.  I also haven't located the Apple Software to Patch the
   APPLESOFT BASIC , ( also a Micro-Soft BASIC ) to leverage the
   Co-Processor.

   This is an Applied Analytics uSPEED Math Co-Processor Card with an AMD
   AM9511A

   [2]http://tech.markoverholser.com/files/HPIM5346.JPG

   which seems very similar to the "Model 7811 Arithmetic Processor" from
   California Computer Systems , because this card passes the CCS 7811
   Install Test, found on Page 2-3 of the Manual.

   http://mirrors.apple2.org.za/Apple%20II%20Documentation%20Project/Inter
   face%20Cards/CPU/CCS%207811/Manuals/CCS%207781B%20Arithmetic%20Processo
   r%20-%20Owner%27s%20Manual.pdf

   With your research, I can probably Make my own APPLESOFT Patches and
   leverage the AMD 9511 on the Apple ][ as well as make your card and
   leverage the AMD 9511 on the CoCo..

   MarkO