[Coco] Questions about CoCoSDC

Rob Rosenbrock bester at adamswells.com
Thu Feb 2 18:39:49 EST 2023

> On Feb 2, 2023, at 4:53 PM, tim lindner via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Feb 2, 2023 at 1:42 PM Rob Rosenbrock via Coco
> <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:
>> I just got the CoCoSDC, and I have a few questions
>>
>> what version of RSDOS is installed?
>
> Disk Color BASIC Version 1.1

Straight dump? I had a lot of difficulty getting roar to work with my coco3.rom for some reason - as if it was in the wrong format.

My CoCoSDC doesn’t have a window for the config switches, so I’m probably not going to mess with it. Just looking to have a backup.

>> Y Cable. I’ve seen it said that I can connect a FDC alongside the SDC using a Y cable provided that I remove the ROM from it.
>
> No. Even if you remove the ROM you can not use 2 SCS devices without
> arbitration like the MPI provides. Both the SDC and all FDCs use the
> SCS line.

Hmm… I thought that seemed a bit too good to be true. I could understand the Symphony 12 cartridges in the Y cable, but having these two on the same bus smelled like a conflict. That’s why I asked

Not sure what I’ll do. There’s only one disk that I think I’d want to read offhand - I think my copy of Symphony 12 may be a later version than the one that is in the archive. I can live without it.

>> DSK images. I have found Imgtool and Wimgtool from MESS
>
> IMGTOOL is still being worked on. I added DragonDOS support a few
> years ago. I don't know anything about WIMGTOOL. I'm a command line
> guy, so I also use the TOOLSHED project.

I am unable to find anything online about imgtool other than the one at the archive. Apparently they don’t package it in the release unless there is a new version - something about tools taking up too much bandwidth. Unless I can find the most recent version released, I’m stuck at 143

Toolshed, however, is perfect! ‘decb.exe dir’ produces a proper directory that I can import into a spreadsheet or text file that I can gather into a larger index.