[Coco] Cross-platform editor for CoCo BASIC?

Mark mark at mcdougall.family
Wed Feb 1 19:00:45 EST 2023

On 1/02/2023 8:32 pm, Joel Rees via Coco wrote:

> Don't look at it like he's going to know what a pain it is. He's gonna be
> happy to have a nice calculator that he can teach tricks to.

It's not just him; it's difficult for me to show him a block of code to
explain, for him to ask questions, etc etc. Even trying to list a
particular set of lines is a PITA. Would be nice to show him on a big
screen in an editor...

> Or, if you don't want him to develop bad habits, I have a Forth dialect
> that works pretty well on the CoCo. Post-fix and other things they don't
> teach at school will require a lot of being there for him while he
> discovers how much bigger the world is than they teach at school.

Hah, I don't worry about him developing any coding habits - bad or
otherwise - just yet. He's still at a very basic (pun not intended)
level of understanding. Besides, I learned BASIC and I think my coding
is GOTO 20

Then I'd have to learn Forth too... ;)

20 pretty good these days? ;)

All my calculators are RPN, even the ones on my phone & various PCs...
he doesn't have one for school yet, but I'm tempted to get him one when
they allow them... pretty sure the teacher won't be able to use it!

Regards,

--
Mark McDougall
<http://retroports.blogspot.com.au>