[Coco] Installing LWTOOLS on Windows

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Fri Jun 17 19:07:25 EDT 2022

On Jun 17, 2022, at 5:15 PM, James Ross via Coco <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:

> Allen Huffman wrote:
>> I wanted to get the cross compiler on my Windows 11 machine so I documented
>> all my steps, with screen shots.
>
>> https://subethasoftware.com/2022/06/16/installing-lwtools-on-windows-using-cygwin/
>
> Great article Allen.

Thank you. I need to make a few small updates to that article.

At the time, I did not think the prebuilt windows binaries were up to date, Else I would’ve just done that and been done with it :-) at least I learned something!

I also learned a difference between the two build environments - mingw versus Cygwin. I spent years at a job where we used mingw for compiling our firmware. I knew both provided a Unix-like terminal and allowed building some Unix code. I did not realize mingw can make a .exe that will run on Windows without mingw installed and using the special terminal. Now I have more learning to do.

Cygwin feels more natural for Linux users, while the mingw binaries are just like DOS commands.