[Coco] 2022-06-03 Update on my CoCoIOn Ethernet Card project.

Michael Furman n6il at ocs.net
Fri Jun 3 14:26:20 EDT 2022

In the past week I have been hard at work on my socket library. While it is still a work in progress just this morning I got the code working well enough to get a test program working. The test program connects to a RFC 862 Echo service (Port 7) on either UDP or TCP (echou -u <ip> and echou -t <ip>)  It sends the message “Hello, Internet\n” to the echo server and prints the response.  With this working the basics of socket(), connect(), send(), recv(), and shutdown() are working for both UDP and TCP.  This is pretty big progress.

I do want to clarify one point. The CoCoIO card is using a WizNet W5100s chip. For both last week’s Ping demo and this week’s TCP and UDP echo test I am using the card’s internal APIs for everything. The CoCo is sending commands and data to the card and the W5100s is doing the heavy lifting of all the Ethernet, ARP, IP, ICMP, TCP, and UDP packets that go over the wire. While there are raw modes available I’m not using them and don’t plan to.

Lastly time for a riddle:

My CoCo needs to know what time it is and it can send and receive UDP packets.

I’m sure many of you will know the answer.  If not it should be answered in my next update.

—MikeyN6IL