[Coco] Disk subroutines for Assembly?

Don Barber don at dgb3.net
Fri Feb 4 18:46:20 EST 2022

Robert, thank you so much for pointing me at the Unravelled series. I
found them on the archive, and they are very helpful.

I'm using lwasm mainly because I'm used to my tooling on Linux. Vim,
grep, hexdump, etc. Just what I'm used to.

Regarding my asking about Disk Basic disk access routines, it was simply
an incorrect mental model/assumption that the rom that came with the
disk controller cartridge would make some kind of provision to abstract
away the filesystem for programmers. Much like how color basic gives ROM
routines for CHROUT and POLCAT instead of forcing programmers to always
write their own routines for updating video memory or querying the
keyboard directly. My experience was also colored by the original
Macintosh's including such subroutines in its ROM (see Inside Macintosh
Volume 1 Chapter 6 at
https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/inside-macintosh). It wouldn't have
been that hard to do; Tandy did it for DSKCON after all, why not also
FOPEN/FCLOSE ? Maybe it just came down to the error handling getting too
complex.

Thanks,

Don

On 2/3/22 16:22, Robert Gault wrote:
> You will want to get the Unravelled series from the archive and study the SAVEM routines.
<snip>