[Coco] Drivewire on an original Raspberry Pi

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 1 13:02:14 EST 2022

On 1/31/22 11:40, Christopher R. Hawks wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2022 17:02:32 +0800
> Walter Zambotti <zambotti at iinet.net.au> wrote:
>
>> Bill
>>
>> I thought I wrote a long explanation and sent it earlier today
>> regarding how DW4UI.jar works internally with the libs.  Maybe I sent
>> the message to you rather than the list.
>>
>> So I will make this a short reply.
> [...]
>> I haven't tried installing it on a PI which is usually 32 bit!
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Walter
>>
>> On 31/1/22 03:35, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
>>>
>>> Anybody have any success doing this?  I have tried DriveWrie4 which
>>> dies because of a lack of swt-gtk Libs. (may try doing it UI-less
>>> but that is less than desirable)  And I can't even begin to
>>> understand how one gets pyDrivewire to run. (Never used Python
>>> before.  Not impressed so far!!)
>>>
>>> Any kind of useful tutorials for this.  Nothing I have found on the
>>> web so far has been any help at all.
>>>
>>> bill
>>>

> Walter:
>
>      Thanks for jogging my memory! The Pi requires 2 java elements to be
> installed to use the UI.
> sudo apt-get install libswt-gtk-3-java
> sudo apt-get install  libswt-cairo-gtk-3-jni
>
>      Thanks to Allen H for originally pointing that out.
> https://subethasoftware.com/2015/02/13/introducing-the-cocopilot-drivewire-server/

My thanks for all the pointers, but it has, once again, been a
real disappointment.

On the Pi:
    Someone said the missing libraries were included in DW4UI but
repeated attempts to run it failed to install anything like that.
    Attempts to download them manually just result in 404's.  Apparently
they are no longer available for this architecture.
    piDrivewire not any better. Needed pieces of python appear to be
missing and attempts to get and install them fail as well.

So, I tried on Windows 10. DW4UI can't see the the serial port even
when manually entered.  Couldn't get Python to work either. (Side
Note:  First time using Python.  Not impressed.)

Tried my MAC.  Installed JDK from Oracle. DW4UI crashes for some
obscure java error with a message about ten lines long.  Didn't
bother trying to install Python.

Looks like I need to dig up one of the old Windows boxes where
I ran DriveWire in the past and hope it still works.

bill