[Coco] Audio Spectrum Analyzer

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Dec 27 20:18:32 EST 2022

On 12/27/22 18:59, Dan Eicher via Coco wrote:

> Is the best way to partake via a cassette recorder?

That originally came on a rom cartidge. It might run from a taped copy
but the usual $25 to $50 cassette is so noisy it will throw errors by
the bushel basket. OTOH, I once made a copy of something using a TEAC
TR22, recording on only one track and got a report back from the
receiver that it played better than any other tape he had.

The TR22 found a home in many radio stations alongside the Panasonic
RS-1500, both of them were far higher performance than the Ampex's of
the time. They easily equaled the performance of the Ampex running at 15
IPS, while running at 3.75 IPS.

The thinner wear surface of the heads gave them truly superior
performance but for shorter periods of use due to wear since tape is
rouge, and abrasive. So they needed fresh heads about every 1500 hours,
whereas the Ampex head was much thicker, allowing it to maintain
somewhat lessor performance for a much longer period of use.

Cheap,fast,good, pick any 2. The Ampex sold new for around 4x what the
other two sold for.

The problem with the sub $100 recorder is the use of permanent magnets
for bias and erasure, and its 40 db noisier than a decent bias
oscillator.  That oscillator ate battery's faster than the motor did, so
most good ones will have really big batteries or a line cord. They also,
because the heads get magnetized, will gradually erase the tape being
played. All will do it eventually but the cheap ones about 50x faster
than the good ones.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
  - Louis D. Brandeis