[Coco] Robotic Arm from the MegaHoby store...

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Fri Oct 29 18:52:49 EDT 2021

Reposting this because I was informed the links don't work?

---

That's a very interesting series, John - thanks for posting that.

I wanted to note that the link you provided doesn't allow you to view
much; it's one of those documents that you have to have an account, and
"check out" the magazine like you would a book from a library.

Instead, here are the magazine scans (clearscan version) from the CoCo
archive:

Part 1 (Jul 1984) -
https://colorcomputerarchive.com/repo/Documents/Magazines/Hot CoCo
(Clearscan)/Hot Coco Vol. 2 No. 2 - July 1984.pdf

Part 2 (Aug 1984) -
https://colorcomputerarchive.com/repo/Documents/Magazines/Hot CoCo
(Clearscan)/Hot Coco Vol. 2 No. 3 - August 1984.pdf

Part 3 (Oct 1984) -
https://colorcomputerarchive.com/repo/Documents/Magazines/Hot CoCo
(Clearscan)/Hot Coco Vol. 2 No. 5 - October 1984.pdf

Apparently, the author broke his wrist, and the other parts of the
project were delayed as a result. It picks up again in January 1985,
where he shows how to interface the original "fixed base" Armatron toy
robot arm to the CoCo via the interface:

Part 4 (Jan 1985) -
https://colorcomputerarchive.com/repo/Documents/Magazines/Hot CoCo
(Clearscan)/Hot Coco Vol. 2 No. 8 - January 1985.pdf

Part 5 (Feb 1985) -
https://colorcomputerarchive.com/repo/Documents/Magazines/Hot CoCo
(Clearscan)/Hot Coco Vol. 2 No. 9 - February 1985.pdf

The above is yet another version of "Armatron Robot Arm" interfacing
I'll need to add to my archive. Curiously, for the author of the series,
James Barbarello, it's like his fourth article that I've found or heard
of regarding interfacing an Armatron to a computer - though I believe
this is the only one for the "fixed base" Armatron (his other articles
are for the newer "mobile armatron" that used individual motors, instead
of the single motor and complex gear train of the "fixed base" version).

I should also mention that over on the FB forum last month in September,
Catherine Trudel posted about the conversion of an Armatron she did,
with some pictures she had taken after finding the old project in her
pile-o-stuff. Apparently, it was a project she had done as a young girl.
She mentions the Hot CoCo series, but didn't recall the date - and I
never looked it up. But from the two pictures she posted, you could
definitely tell it was the same or a similar interface.

I have a project on my back burner to take all the stuff I have on
interfacing the Armatron to a computer, and archive it for others to
download and use. There is quite a bit out there, and as I've noted
serveral other times, it seems like every time I turn around, up pops
another article, book, or something else about doing it.

Anyhow - thanks again for the update; it was really helpful.

Andrew L. Ayers
Glendale, Arizona
phoenixgarage.org
github.com/andrew-ayers