[Coco] CoCo2 black and gray video only -- need help!

Dave Philipsen dave at davebiz.com
Sat Oct 23 00:22:41 EDT 2021

The colorburst frequency of 3.579545 is derived from the 14.31818 crystal (14.31818 / 4 = 3.579545). I’m pretty sure any frequencies generated in that RF modulator are solely for generating the VHF carrier and associated signals for the TV. I assume you’re getting a clean picture on channel 3 or 4. The problem of it being in black & white is related to the colorburst which is on each video line. All of that timing is taking place in the SAM and VDG. And I don’t believe the VDG itself is very picky about the exact frequency it runs at. I have seen spec sheets speaking of using a 16 MHz crystal so it can create video at that frequency albeit not according to the NTSC color standard.

Dave