[Coco] Where to get Ar2 for OS9

Jeff Teunissen deek at d2dc.net
Sat Jun 27 02:26:53 EDT 2020

On OS-9, "Ar2" is called Ar.

Carl Kreider wrote our Ar based on ideas and source code found in the
book _Software Tools_, by PJ Plauger and Brian W. Kernighan. Now,
Brian Kernighan also wrote the original Unix ar, and a descendant of
that program is still in wide use across the globe.

In keeping with the Unix philosophy, the Unix version of ar does only
one thing -- it collects individual files into an archive that
includes all of them, without doing any compression, etc. If you want
to compress an archive, you do just that -- you use compress, gzip,
etc. to turn your "foo.a" archive into the compressed archive
"foo.a.Z" or "foo.a.gz". Carl's version is a little bit different, in
that it has a different file format and supports a fairly simple
Lempel-Ziv "LZ1" compression.

Anyway, our version of Ar is called Ar2 because otherwise it would
conflict with the original Unix/Linux/etc. program of the same name.